Suppose you’re at a farewell party. Enjoying the great music with a chilled beer in hand talking with your fellow ones. Suppose the light goes out in dark and nothing can be seen. Neither the music getting played nor any sign of light. In that case, turning on the generator can switch back to the previous mood in a few minutes. But how do they get started? A curiosity always remains in mind surrounding the fact. How to use a generator during a power outage will completely be explained in this topic. So stay tuned.
Using a generator during a power outage
In simple words, for keeping the electricity flow stable and active, the generator gets used. During the power outage, the only thing that comes to mind is turning the generator on for having the electricity back. And it can run for a long time depending on the generator and the length of the power outage.
So how the generators get used?
Basically, generators are different in their shape, performance, size, and efficiency from each other. Portable type of generators gets used for both indoor and outdoor area depending on the capacity.
They are enough helpful that supply proper and required electricity flow in the house until the electricity returns. Using the fueling source, the generator creates the power energy that gets transferred into the circuit lines and turns the electrical objects on.
Mentioning the using method, there are different types of systems that get used for operating the inverter generator. They can be the key system, the switching system, or the direct powering system. But no matter how the operating process is, all of them deliver the same efficiency.
The proper using method during a power outage
Using the generator is not a simple task at all. Though they can be start up easily, inappropriate use can lead to a great accident. As it is obvious that, the generator has to start up after a power outage, there should be no compromise in terms of following the safety.
Here is some using guideline listed briefly according to the perfect using system below:
Placing the generator into a perfect area
Before operating the generator, the primary step to follow is measuring the placement. As a generator is a combination of different elements, batteries are one of them. In case the generator gets placed in an inappropriate area or position, it can be enough dangerous to use.
- Generally, a dry place is perfect for keeping the generator. Not only dry area is the requirement. It is even said that the best way to observe the generator is, keeping it outside from home or another area. An empty storeroom can be a perfect area for placing the generator.
- While placing on the outside area, it should be checked whether there is any window, ventilators or gap in the storeroom. And if there is, make sure to keep them close all the time so that air can’t access in the room.
- Generators contain Carbon monoxide that is known as poisonous gas. That is why calculating the accurate distance between the generator and the functional area is very important. While operating the generator, it lives in a great chance of blowing the dangerous Carbon monoxide using air through the doors or any leakages. 30-40 feet distance is the ideal measurement for placing the generator from the area. it will help to avoid the poisonous air from coming into the home
- Make sure that the total generator system stays dry all the time. Either it gets used or not, a drop of water is enough to turn the situation into a huge disaster. Never try to use the generator in wet conditions or wet hands.
Accurate fueling process for the generator
Among all the processes of using the generator, fueling is considered the difficult one. As most of the generators run by using fuel, it is a serious matter that has to observe with great care.
- Use the exact fuel grade and fuel that is recommended for the generator. Remember, using other types of fuel instead of the required one can be the reason for generator damages.
- Keep proper fuel storage all the time near to the generator. Put them in a good distance from the generator every time after fueling.
- Whenever it is time for refueling, make sure to turn the engine off and let the generator cool. If it gets refueled in a hot condition, spilled drops of fuel can create flammable objects.
- After fueling up, don’t forget to tighten up the fuel container properly. Otherwise, if it gets dropped at any chance, having a blast or fire is certain
- Create proper gripping into the container while fueling. Slippery hands can reduce the balance if the containers come in good weight.
Plugging the generator and turning on
When the placing and fueling are finished, it is now time for the most important part. That is, turning the generator on. In that case, some terms have to observe with great attention.
- Generators mainly have to attach with the electric board and sockets to run the home appliances. Using high quality and durable cords and lines is important in that case. Sometimes, the cords can’t take the impact of heavy voltage. As a result, they get burned or create short circuits. On the other hand, vibrations from the generator can lose the joints and create major electrical issues. That is why certified cords and lines are essential to use.
- While turning on the generator for the first time, make sure to shut down all the lights, fans, gadgets, and other electric things. This process will help to keep all the items safe during the process. Even if the gasless generator create any misleading issue to start, the home appliances will remain unharmed for sure
- Always try to line up the wiring with proper safety. For the lengthy wire, it can become worse than imagination if there is any leakage or defect at any part of the wire. By any chance, if they get closer to any watery source, they will completely create a huge disaster. That is why; using water resistant electric wires can be a great decision. It will help to minimize the chance of incidents a lot.
Avoiding natural disasters
Heavy rains, strong wind flow, thunderstorms can be a great reason for damaging the generator. Though the generators get kept in the storage house, a strong disaster can turn over the situation anytime.
Therefore, mechanism experts always advise keeping the generator power switched off whenever there is any storm or rain. Make sure to use dry hands during the operation as it has been described earlier.
To keep the generator area dry and safe from water, make sure to use sealed foams or canopy like structures so that the generator along with the lining doesn’t get interrupted by water.
Existence of proper light sources
Facing power outage issues at night is a common fact. If there is a generator to use, there is no hesitation or worry about the electricity coming back. But sometimes, it becomes difficult to operate the generator at night.
Every generator usually gets placed at a proper distance from the home area. Going for the startup of a generator without proper visibility can be dangerous. The main ignition switch can be placed at the corner or critical area.
As a result, it can create difficulty to start up the generator or even worse without having good visibility. That is why; make sure to have enough at least a torch instead of having nothing.
Terms to observe for maintaining the generator
There will be nothing more disturbing than an error generator for use during the power outage. The reason behind this issue mainly comes from the lower rate of using the generator. In some cases, the generators don’t even get used or even start up in a year. So there is a great chance of having problems and issues in the generator are obvious.
Some of the maintaining processes are described in the following. They can be observed and applied to keep the generator safe all the time.
Replacing the existed spark plugs: A generator gets the total power of starting up from the spark plugs. If the plugs are not clean enough or efficient, there is no chance of getting started. Make sure to clean up or replace the spark plugs in time.
Adding proper oil level all the time: The generator can be run or operate without oil. That is why keeping the accurate oil level also comes in the sector of maintenance.
Changing the air filter in time: Whenever the generator doesn’t get started for a long time, the engine along with the carburetor gets jammed which will deliver a critical starting issue or no start. In this situation, it will be a good decision to clean up or change the air filter so that the generators don’t face any major issues.
Using the generator is not a difficult task at all. If all the terms and procedures get applied properly, no matter when there is a power outage, the generator can be start up very easily without facing any issue. This topic seemed enough effective that describes how to use a generator during a power outage. And if there is stormy weather with the power outage, don’t worry. Just observe the given terms and make your generator run again.